The definition of empowerment is, “ power
Self-empowerment is an easy idea but it can be hard in practice. Self-empowerment is about taking control of your own life, knowing what’s best for yourself, and working to achieve your goals. It is so easy for outside influences to get in the way of our own empowerment. Things like toxic relationships, letting other people make decisions for us, a job that is unfulfilling – those are all things that can steal our power and tear down our confidence.
We want to focus on building ourselves up, so here are five simple ways to increase your self-empowerment!
- Take a Breather – We have so much external “noise” going on between work, kids, housework, social media, and more, that it’s hard to find quiet. Take ten minutes each day to focus inward. Turn your phone off, find a quiet space, close your eyes, and take slow deep breaths. This will help you re-set so you can focus on your goals.
- Exercise Your Body- Taking charge of your health is one of the most important things you can do for yourself. When you are healthy, you are able to act more towards fulfilling your goals and living the life you want! Exercise doesn’t have to be sweating it out at the gym. Take a 20-minute walk each day, dance for 15 minutes, but get active. Exercise also helps with depression and anxiety!
- Exercise Your Mind – There is so much truth to the adage “Knowledge is power.” The more knowledge you have, the easier it is to meet your goals, develop interests, and build your confidence. This can mean anything from watching a news program to learn about current events, reading a book on a topic that interests you, or even taking a class online, at a nearby college, or at a local center!
- Let It Go – Holding a grudge wastes energy, and it means someone is holding power over you by taking up space in your heart and mind. Forgive that person in your heart, and put that transgression out of your mind. Take the high road and put the past in the past!
- Trust Yourself – Never sell yourself short because you do amazing things every day. Shut down that inner voice that tells you that you can’t do something, and shut down the nay-sayers in your life telling you ‘no.’ The biggest step towards self-empowerment is trusting your inner voice and casting aside doubt and worry.